From Ano Lechonia, to Milies: The route that was a reference point for 80 years
The train of Pelion, a historic route. It’s the legendary “Moulouris”. The train that connected the center of Volos with the west side of the mountain of the Centaurs. The Volos-Milies (Milies) route served the needs of the people who needed to go from the villages, of Pelion mountain,to the urban center.
Its construction began in 1892. It was completed in 1896. The section up to Milies was constructed afterwards. It was launched in 1903. Evaristo De Chirico, the father of the well-known painter Giorgio de Chirico, was supervising the construction of the railway network.
For about 80 years it has been a reference point for the wider region. Its engines went out for a few years as there was a service interruption between 1971 and 1996. And then they started again.
The route starts from the station of Ano Lechonia. The train departs at 10 a.m. to Milies, in Pelion mountain. It comes back at 3:00 pm. There’s an intermediate 15-minute stop – both in going and in returning – in Ano Gatzea.
The trip lasts 90 minutes and covers a 15 km route. The walk offers magical images. Rich nature, traditional architecture with ornate constructions carved marble stone and grey limestone. Arched bridges, tunnels, arches.